From Dispatch national correspondent Linn Bayne
The national campaign to Abolish Corporate Personhood and Defend Democracy.
Sign the Petition: http://MoveToAmend.org/motion-to-amend
Protecting and Defending our Democracy…
Our elected officials appear to be more interested in making political points than they are in making good policy. The policy they do create clearly benefits corporate America more than it benefits the American people, if it benefits us at all.
With this kind of dynamic at work, some may think that we can’t mount a successful strategy against the powerful forces at play, but they would be very wrong.
After the economic collapse of 2008 and the ensuing “great recession,” Americans are beginning to understand the deleterious effects on our democracy of corporate coziness with our lawmakers.
Ordinary Americans are rising up and doing what our elected representatives refuse to do–they are protecting and defending our democracy:
* In Montana in August, the Missoula City Council voted to place a referendum on the 2011 ballot that urges federal and state lawmakers to amend the U.S. Constitution “to clearly state that corporations are not human beings and do not have the same rights as citizens.”
* In September in Colorado, the Jamestown Board of Trustees unanimously passed a resolution condemning the concept of “corporate personhood,” joining Boulder in a similar effort.
* Tucson, Arizona citizens are on the move with a petition garnering support for their own resolution to amend the state Constitution. (If you know folks in Tucson, please ask them to sign it.)
Town by town, city by city, state by state, people are organizing against corporate personhood, and Move to Amend is here to help you learn how you can follow their lead:
* Learn how to pass resolutions opposing corporate personhood. Our webinars cover everything from basic organizing tips and community involvement to passing a resolution. Check out the Webinar Archive here.
* If you own a business, know a like-minded business owner, or if you belong to another organization, endorse Move to Amend’s effort.
* Attend the Deep Democracy Workshop next month! (Or we can bring this workshop to your town—contact email@example.com for more info.)
It’s time to take the fight to every corner of the nation; our democracy depends on it!
Yours in the democracy movement,
Ben Manski, Nancy Price, George Friday, Laura Lonham, Lisa Graves, David Cobb and Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap
The Move to Amend Exec Team
Move to Amend P.O. Box 260217 Madison, WI 53726-0217 United States
End Corporate Rule. Legalize Democracy. Move to Amend.
We’re on Facebook & Twitter!